From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:15:44
1 On 29-03-2018 16:47:51 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu czw, 29.03.2018 o godzinie 09∶39 -0500, użytkownik William Hubbs
3 > napisał:
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > I just happened to notice the following warning from portage when
7 > > bumping dhcpcd.
8 > >
9 > > > One or more empty directories installed to /var:
10 > > > /var/lib/dhcpcd
11 > > > If those directories need to be preserved, please make sure to create
12 > > > or mark them for keeping using 'keepdir'. Future versions of Portage
13 > > > will strip empty directories from installation image.
14 > >
15 > > If we are going to require emptty directories to be marked with
16 > > keepdir, I think we should hard fail the emerge rather than quietly
17 > > strip the empty directories. If we just strip the directories, this
18 > > will, more than likely, lead to broken packages. In the case of dhcpcd,
19 > > the upstream build system installs the /var/lib/dhcpcd directory, then
20 > > dhcpcd writes to the directory.
23 > Are you saying that dozens of packages should suddenly start failing
24 > for users so that developers would feel more obliged to fix them?
25 > Provided that the packages are still maintained, and it won't be
26 > 'hey, we just made it impossible to install this package, maybe someone
27 > will fix it one day'.
28
29 I agree, packages shouldn't suddenly start failing. Not during install,
30 not during runtime either. For changes like this EAPIs were invented.
31
32 Fabian
35 Fabian Groffen
36 Gentoo on a different level