From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:48:03
1 W dniu czw, 29.03.2018 o godzinie 09∶39 -0500, użytkownik William Hubbs
2 napisał:
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I just happened to notice the following warning from portage when
6 > bumping dhcpcd.
7 >
8 > > One or more empty directories installed to /var:
9 > > /var/lib/dhcpcd
10 > > If those directories need to be preserved, please make sure to create
11 > > or mark them for keeping using 'keepdir'. Future versions of Portage
12 > > will strip empty directories from installation image.
13 >
14 > If we are going to require emptty directories to be marked with
15 > keepdir, I think we should hard fail the emerge rather than quietly
16 > strip the empty directories. If we just strip the directories, this
17 > will, more than likely, lead to broken packages. In the case of dhcpcd,
18 > the upstream build system installs the /var/lib/dhcpcd directory, then
19 > dhcpcd writes to the directory.
22 Are you saying that dozens of packages should suddenly start failing
23 for users so that developers would feel more obliged to fix them?
24 Provided that the packages are still maintained, and it won't be
25 'hey, we just made it impossible to install this package, maybe someone
26 will fix it one day'.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny