From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:40:02
1 All,
2
3 I just happened to notice the following warning from portage when
4 bumping dhcpcd.
5
6 > One or more empty directories installed to /var:
7
8 > /var/lib/dhcpcd
9
10 > If those directories need to be preserved, please make sure to create
11 > or mark them for keeping using 'keepdir'. Future versions of Portage
12 > will strip empty directories from installation image.
13
14 If we are going to require emptty directories to be marked with
15 keepdir, I think we should hard fail the emerge rather than quietly
16 strip the empty directories. If we just strip the directories, this
17 will, more than likely, lead to broken packages. In the case of dhcpcd,
18 the upstream build system installs the /var/lib/dhcpcd directory, then
19 dhcpcd writes to the directory.
20
21 Thanks,
22