From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI and system packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:47:57
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:37:46 +0300
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ryan Hill wrote:
5 > > (Yes, this has EAPI in the title, so that means everyone will chime
6 > > in)
7 > >
8 > > I'd like to clarify and (eventually) set in stone our ideas of best
9 > > practices when it comes to bumping EAPI for system packages. I was
10 > > of the belief that we had decided that system packages should
11 > > remain at EAPI 0 for backwards-compatibility reasons. It seems,
12 > > however, that this was never written down anywhere and today we
13 > > find ourselves in a situation where it is impossible to bootstrap a
14 > > Gentoo system from a pre-EAPI-era liveCD due to all python versions
15 > > being EAPI 1 or later. Maybe we don't care anymore, but I'd like
16 > > to know what people think.
19 > I think the consensus was / is? that the upgrade path from EAPI 0
20 > should have existed until we decide to not support it anymore and the
21 > decision should not have been made by for example python maintainers.
22 > The only packages that matter are Portage dependencies not the full
23 > system target. Basically you need to be able to upgrade your Portage
24 > and use the new version.
25
26 emerge -1O portage should still work, right? Not that I like python
27 being EAPI>0 and that kind of workarounds though...
28
29 Alexis.