From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI and system packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:37:50
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > (Yes, this has EAPI in the title, so that means everyone will chime in)
3 >
4 > I'd like to clarify and (eventually) set in stone our ideas of best practices
5 > when it comes to bumping EAPI for system packages. I was of the belief that
6 > we had decided that system packages should remain at EAPI 0 for
7 > backwards-compatibility reasons. It seems, however, that this was never
8 > written down anywhere and today we find ourselves in a situation where it is
9 > impossible to bootstrap a Gentoo system from a pre-EAPI-era liveCD due to all
10 > python versions being EAPI 1 or later. Maybe we don't care anymore, but I'd
11 > like to know what people think.
14 I think the consensus was / is? that the upgrade path from EAPI 0 should
15 have existed until we decide to not support it anymore and the decision
16 should not have been made by for example python maintainers. The only
17 packages that matter are Portage dependencies not the full system
18 target. Basically you need to be able to upgrade your Portage and use
19 the new version.
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri