From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 06:38:21
1 On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 20:22 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > "better readability" is a pretty subjective claim ...
3
4 Many things are subjective - one mans good is another mans bad.
5 /me shrugs
6
7 > i'd say that changing
8 > things from doing a case match against proper character classes to doing a
9 > printf against arbitrary character ranges (which btw are not locale safe, so
10 > i imagine you've introduced a regression there) is not "better". but i'm not
11 > the maintainer of said eclass.
12
13 That is why the case match is like so
14
15 [0-9] Should be safe - every language should operate in base 10
16 -|.|_ Exact match
17 * If it's not the above, treat it like a letter
18
19 So there shouldn't be any regressions with version numbers here as I've
20 cunningly avoided the locale trap.
21
22 > > > but I find interesting that
23 > > > you ripped Ciaran's copyright while leaving the "Prod ciaranm if you
24 > > > find something it can't handle" comment.
25 > >
26 > > I copied and pasted the comments for the most part. Sorry for leaving that
27 > > bit in. And I thought that the Gentoo Foundation had the copyright?
28 >
29 > it does. and if it doesnt, punt the file and rewrite it from scratch.
30
31 Well, this should constitute a rewrite from scratch.
32
33 Thanks
34
35 Roy