From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 07:47:18
1 Dnia 2015-04-11, o godz. 16:50:53
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 >
7 > > Hash: SHA512
8 > >
9 > > Am Samstag, 11. April 2015, 16:19:23 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
10 > >
11 > >>> build - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used for
12 > >>> creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping [make
13 > >>> stage1]
14 > >>>
15 > >>> bootstrap - !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used
16 > >>> during original system bootstrapping [make stage2]
17 > >>>
18 > >>> However, since both are marked for 'internal use only', I don't think
19 > >>> it's a good idea to use them here. So I guess we need a new flag. Does
20 > >>> anyone have suggestions how to name it?
21 > >>
22 > >> Incidentally, if those were all migrated to USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, the dire
23 > >> warnings wouldn't need to be so visible...
24 > >
25 > > Now if only anyone would remember what these were intended for?
26 >
27 > Both "build" and "bootstrap" are reserved for stage building. The former
28 > is used on stage1 and iirc, the latter is used by scripts/bootstrap.sh
29 > in the portage tree called during stage2.
30 >
31 > > Maybe we're just trying to re-invent the wheel...
32 >
33 > No, they are needed for stage building and for that *only*, so please find
34 > another solution so you don't end up "killing" stage building and forcing
35 > releng to "fix" it again.
36
37 It would be nice if releng would be able to namespace their private
38 flags properly instead of cluttering the global flag namespace with
39 stuff you aren't allowed to touch and reserving the two useful flag
40 names here.
41
42 In fact, I don't even understand why the flags aren't hard-masked if
43 you're not supposed to set them. Of course, that would require some
44 minimal effort of setting stage building stuff to unmask the flag...
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny