From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:10:08
1 On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Dnia 2015-04-11, o godz. 16:50:53
4 > "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >
6 >> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
7
8 <snip>
9
10 >>> Now if only anyone would remember what these were intended for?
11 >>
12 >> Both "build" and "bootstrap" are reserved for stage building. The former
13 >> is used on stage1 and iirc, the latter is used by scripts/bootstrap.sh
14 >> in the portage tree called during stage2.
15 >>
16 >>> Maybe we're just trying to re-invent the wheel...
17 >>
18 >> No, they are needed for stage building and for that *only*, so please find
19 >> another solution so you don't end up "killing" stage building and forcing
20 >> releng to "fix" it again.
21 >
22 > It would be nice if releng would be able to namespace their private
23 > flags properly instead of cluttering the global flag namespace with
24 > stuff you aren't allowed to touch and reserving the two useful flag
25 > names here.
26
27 As you can see in the commit history, both bootstrap and build were
28 already part of the first use.desc file[1] committed to gentoo-x86, on Fri
29 Apr 12 05:17:16 2002 UTC.
30 So those use flags largely predate the RelEng team and I doubt at that
31 time anyone thought about "namespaces".
32
33 [1] -
34 https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/profiles/use.desc?revision=1.1&view=markup
35
36 > In fact, I don't even understand why the flags aren't hard-masked if
37 > you're not supposed to set them. Of course, that would require some
38 > minimal effort of setting stage building stuff to unmask the flag...
39
40 And all of that needed to be implemented in catalyst and no one did it.
41 It's easy to complain now ignoring the history of the tree, catalyst and
42 release building in Gentoo.
43
44 Regards,
45 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto