From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Trivial" commit reviews
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:40:27
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Mike Doty (KingTaco) just told me I could stop sending reviews to -dev
4 >> that are just about adding quotes or other trivial issues that come up
5 >> over and over. I'm going to tell you why it's still a good thing.
6 >>
7 >> First, where one problem lurks, others often do too. In code with such
8 >> simple problems, it's likely that more complex problems also exist.
9 >> Getting more eyes on problematic code of any sort can help find them.
10 >>
11 >> Second, as we've already seen, no one developer is familiar with all
12 >> the code. Both Mike Frysinger and Daniel Drake have responded to some
13 >> of my reviews, pointing out further problems with the same code.
14 >>
15 >> Third, by continuing to post these reviews, it should become obvious
16 >> to _all_ developers that they should be checking for them _before_
17 >> committing instead of waiting for a review.
18 >>
19 >> Over time, the number of these simple reviews should go dramatically
20 >> down so it no longer bothers anyone to see them. If it doesn't, that
21 >> means some of our developers aren't learning or paying attention, and
22 >> we should take a closer look at whether they should remain developers.
23 >>
24 >> Thanks,
25 >> Donnie
26 > My concern is that if we flood -dev with "trivial" commit problems then
27 > more people will stop watching -dev and/or resort to killfiles or other
28 > filtering. While I do agree with Donnies assessment, my concern is that
29 > over a longer time period, it might have a negative effect.
30
31 I think this is exactly what -dev is for. And the number of trivial
32 mistakes people are making (not discounting myself) shows this kind of code
33 review is needed. There is a huge amount of basic stuff, like quoting or
34 when to use ${ROOT}, that we just don't have documented anywhere, and expect
35 people to somehow just pick up.
36
37 If we flood -dev with "trivial" commit problems then more people will stop
38 commiting them. If people want to stop reading or filter then that's their
39 prerogative. -dev isn't a required ML.
42 fonts / wxWindows / gcc-porting / treecleaners
43 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list