From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:17:15
1 On 7/10/19 8:03 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >>
3 >> This logic, or maybe the name of the flag, sounds backwards to me. I
4 >> only get sysvinit when USE=sysvinit is NOT set?
5 >
6 > If you don't set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], you would have /sbin/init
7 > and /sbin/shutdown as they are now, from sys-apps/sysvinit.
8 >
9 > If you do set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], /sbin/init and /sbin/shutdown
10 > would become wrappers for /sbin/openrc-init and /sbin/openrc-shutdown.
11
12 Which way do muons spin?
15 >> Modulo my first comment, you'll want some USE flag (un)set for
16 >> sys-apps/openrc to ensure that /sbin/init is provided.
17 >
18 > I am willing to be convinced, but I'm not sure all providers of a virtual
19 > are required to provide the same binaries. A couple of examples off the
20 > top of my head are virtual/editor, virtual/logger and virtual/mta.
21
22 Will the system boot if you don't install sysvinit and if you don't
23 provide the /sbin/init wrapper for /sbin/openrc-init?