From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mjo@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 03:14:26
1 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 08:17:06PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 *snip*
4
5 > Will the system boot if you don't install sysvinit and if you don't
6 > provide the /sbin/init wrapper for /sbin/openrc-init?
7
8 No, but this is also true if you remove sysvinit and install systemd
9 with the sysv-utils use flag turned off, or if you install runit and
10 remove sysvinit.
11
12 If /sbin/init doesn't exist, you have to configure your boot loader to
13 pass init=/some/path/binary to the kernel.
14
15 (see the examples in /etc/default/grub).
16
17 I don't want to remove sysvinit by default. If you want to remove it,
18 you can, but I don't want to force that issue. That's why I don't want
19 to turn the use flag on by default like systemd does.
20
21 William