From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new global USE flag "srcdist"
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 15:25:46
1 On 01/02/2014 07:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >> As I said in another reply, more license metadata is good and we
5 >> should make it available. But a USE flag that changes the meaning of
6 >> an important global variable is a little hacky, especially if it
7 >> doesn't solve a real problem within Gentoo/Portage.
8 >
9 > A srcdist flag wouldn't be that much different from the bindist flag
10 > that we already have, and which is also of a non-technical nature.
11
12 Two wrongs don't make a right =)
13
14 I don't have a problem with bindist, but I don't buy its existence as an
15 argument for USE=srcdist.
18 >> If the problems are theoretical (or aren't Gentoo package management
19 >> problems), maybe it's better to wait and do it right in an EAPI.
20 >
21 > As I said, this would leave us with a long transition period. And what
22 > syntax would you propose? Additional license variables? Or Exherbo
23 > style depend syntax? TBH, I don't want to open this can of worms. ;-)
24
25 An additional variable, similar to RDEPEND/DEPEND. We'd have one for
26 "I'm using this" LICENSE and one for "I want to redistribute the source
27 tarball" LICENSE.
28
29 If you think the transition period for that is long, how long do you
30 think it will take for people to become aware of the magic USE flag and
31 begin populating the other-LICENSE-contained-within-LICENSE variable?
32 How long until it has 100% coverage?
33
34 If maintainers don't use it, the feature is useless, because you can't
35 rely on it and have to audit everything yourself anyway. For it to
36 actually serve its purpose (e.g. to be useful for Pentoo), it would need
37 to be in the PMS and skel.ebuild where people have to pay attention to
38 it. How well would ACCEPT_LICENSE work if LICENSE was optional and
39 controlled by a USE flag?
40
41 If I intend to automatically redistribute the source tarballs that
42 portage downloads, I have a few options:
43
44 1. Audit everything myself (impossible)
45 2. Ignore the licensing issues (used in practice)
46 3. Only ship packages that declare an acceptable source
47 distribution license
48
49 There's no easy way to do (3) when using conditionals inside of LICENSE.
50 If there's a new required license variable in EAPI=$next, however, it
51 becomes tractable.