From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new global USE flag "srcdist"
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 12:54:28
1 >>>>> On Wed, 01 Jan 2014, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > As I said in another reply, more license metadata is good and we
4 > should make it available. But a USE flag that changes the meaning of
5 > an important global variable is a little hacky, especially if it
6 > doesn't solve a real problem within Gentoo/Portage.
7
8 A srcdist flag wouldn't be that much different from the bindist flag
9 that we already have, and which is also of a non-technical nature.
10
11 > If the problems are theoretical (or aren't Gentoo package management
12 > problems), maybe it's better to wait and do it right in an EAPI.
13
14 As I said, this would leave us with a long transition period. And what
15 syntax would you propose? Additional license variables? Or Exherbo
16 style depend syntax? TBH, I don't want to open this can of worms. ;-)
17
18 Ulrich