From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Remaining PMS todo list etc
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:27:31
1 There's an updated, pre-built copy of current PMS at:
2
3 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spb/pms.pdf
4
5 And source at:
6
7 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git
8
9 And "PMS for people who haven't been paying attention" at:
10
11 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_4ac035019b5264e5b9c176493bcc6b5b.xml
12
13 And an explanation of kdebuild at:
14
15 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_0594dd89e411526c2a68cae9916c6a16.xml
16
17 And the following note about bugs: Please stop making bugs with
18 [EAPI-2] or whatever in the title. Use [Future EAPI] unless you have a
19 definite agreement from absolutely everybody and their dog that it's
20 going into EAPI 2. I had to go through and fix a load of bugs saying
21 [EAPI 1] and don't really want to do it again.
22
23 Things still left to do for PMS are as follows. Well-informed people
24 are encouraged to comment and provide patches to pms-bugs@g.o. If you
25 aren't sure whether you're well-informed, you aren't.
26
27 * Someone needs to write up dohtml.
28
29 * 178092: Someone needs to write up package.use.
30
31 * 170697: can we consider profile masks to be in the same category as
32 'use? ( ) : ( )' and thus not worth documenting?
33
34 * 174319: make.defaults needs to be parsed by things other than bash.
35 Just how much of bash's syntax do we support?
36
37 * 174330: PMS currently bans interactivity except in pkg_config.
38
39 * 174335: Some ebuild use FEATURES. Can we get them to stop doing that,
40 or do we have to force package managers to emulate it?
41
42 * 174536: Currently there's no way to tell whether you have a cat/pkg
43 or a cat/pkg-ver, and in no place does anything have to do so. Do we
44 want to introduce new restrictions so that people can do that?
45
46 * 175246: Portage sets EBUILD_PHASE=depend for the metadata source. Do
47 we want to enforce this?
48
49 * 188449: The eight digit limit for version parts is still in. Do we
50 want to keep it?
51
52 * 196561: PMS describes the ~ operator as working the way developers
53 expect it to work, but Portage doesn't quite do that.
54
55 * 202631: PMS doesn't document profile.bashrc. Currently, Paludis
56 ignores it because most of the code that ends up there is extremely
57 Portage specific. Do we document profile.bashrc and make it much more
58 constrained?
61 Ciaran McCreesh