From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:33:35
1 On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > So you consider it acceptable to remove the user's ability to use
3 > packages and dependencies of those packages because of some personal
4 > dislikes?
5 >
6 It should not be personal dislikes. Such a strong position should be well
7 considered by the ones responsible. Making things personal is highly
8 unprofessional and would hopefully lead to many developers leaving.
9
10 > What gives Gentoo the right to screw over users in such a manner?
11
12 Gentoo is gentoo. As a developer I like to think that we keep long term user
13 interests at heart. I also know that I mainly do things out of my own desire.
14 I don't go out looking for users to find out what they want. I look at what I
15 want. (And yes that includes an improved/replaced package manager)
16
17 What I really don't want however is anyone strongholding gentoo. If it is
18 hurting gentoo to reject the contributions of someone, the situation has
19 already gotten out of hand. I don't believe that people are that
20 irreplaceable. Even if they are, that is something that is damaging to the
21 projects continuity.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze