From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:08:10
1 On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:31:17 -0100 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 > No, this cannot have any backward application, nor should it. All
4 > contributions made while respecting the guidelines, are valid
5 > contributions. Yes, it prevents any further contributions in the
6 > future - be it package updates, new features, bug corrections or
7 > security updates.
8
9 So you consider it acceptable to leave Gentoo users open to security
10 holes and crashes because of some personal dislikes?
11
12 > No, this does not prevent Gentoo from using software packages where
13 > user XYZ contributes upstream. In my view, if Gentoo does decide to
14 > ban an user and has a good relationship with upstream, we should
15 > alert upstream and provide evidence of the behaviour that led to the
16 > user ban. However, if upstream = user XYZ and the product is just a
17 > Gentoo package, then it should also be blocked - that would be a
18 > clever way to avoid the ban. Any other doubt about my proposal?
19
20 So you consider it acceptable to remove the user's ability to use
21 packages and dependencies of those packages because of some personal
22 dislikes?
23
24 What gives Gentoo the right to screw over users in such a manner?
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
29 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
30 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/