From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: dev-cpp/gtest
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:10:15
1 Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > So far our gtest package has shipped only the compiled library and a
3 > bunch of helper scripts. Now bug 474454 asks for the sources to be
4 > installed too (or exclusively). What should we do?
5 >
6 > a) Drop the library from the ebuild and break most of the consumers who
7 > don't follow upstreams recommendation.
8 > b) Install shared library and sources giving maintainers the choice to
9 > follow upstreams instructions or not.
10
11 a) The packages are broken in any case, if they don't use gtest files
12 bundled during build, but rely on an external at runtime instead. Break em
13 and let them get fixed, is better than shouldering the maintenance burden of
14 accommodating stupidity. No one will thank you for it in any case, and nothing
15 will improve, but your life will be harder.
16
17 There isn't really any point in trying to install this separately in any case.
18 That is not its intended usage at all.
21 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)