From: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:11:06
1 Chris Gianelloni said:
2 [SNIP]
3 > Gentoo is not all about performance. While many of our users want to
4 > squeeze the every drop of performance out of their systems, many use
5 > Gentoo for any number of other reasons such as our philosophy, our
6 > community, the manageability of portage, or even because they think
7 > Larry the Cow just owns.
8 >
9 hehe. I totally agree. I choose Gentoo for the flexibility, for instance
10 in getting the programversions I want to use - except I'm sad that
11 gcc-versions get phased out too quickly IMHO, so I can't easily choose to
12 stay with an "old" gcc like 3.2.2 - without running into packages I
13 suddenly can't upgrade automatically, because they depend on a newer GCC,
14 which I can see no reason for them to do.
15
16 This would ofcourse not be so big a problem, if we had proper reverse
17 depedencies - but like things are now - I must admit I'm afraid of
18 upgrading gcc/glibc on a machine in production.. have been bitten by that
19 one before (I always have package of the old one - but still).
20 [SNIP]
21 >
22 > I just want to ask where the manpower to do this will come from? We
23 > would have to start over with every CPU upgrade and every toolchain
24 > upgrade. It appears it would be an unending task of hours upon hours of
25 > labor for each package. Have you looked at the sheer number of CFLAGS
26 > available?
27 >
28 You are probably right - especially when I'm told that gcc-3.5 has great
29 profiling capabilities (GIMPLE - whatever that is :) - which I agree would
30 be the better solution (so people can easily optimize their machine -
31 doing profiles for their usage).
32
33 >> I would suggest these tests be included like the gentoo-stats program,
34 >> as
35 >> something the individual Gentooist can choose to run after each compile
36 >> -
37 >> which would give him the optimal performance (and recompile X number of
38 >> times to test different flags out) on his CPU/program/GCCversion
39 >> combination, and at the same time, send the result to a Gentoo database.
40 >
41 > I see no problem with it provided you could find someone to actually do
42 > the work. This would be *very* boring work for most, which means it
43 > would be abandoned by anyone but the most determined quite quickly.
44 >
45 Agreed - that's why I wanted to "throw it out there" - so I could get
46 some feedback on the idea and see if it would stick.
47
48 [SNIP]
49 >> What do you think? am I crazy? It seems to me that the anandtech tests
50 >> shows that it is more than just a 1% or 2% difference, with the right
51 >> CFLAGS - and that the right CFLAGS for one program, can be the worst for
52 >> another on same CPU/GCC combination.
53 >
54 > While I agree that there can be great performance increases, I believe
55 > that there is a definite trade-off between performance and
56 > manageability. This would be wholly unmanageable without an army of
57 > testers working around the clock until Gentoo ceased to be... *grin*
58 >
59 The idea would ofcourse be that, only the "obvious" programs would be
60 tested - but if profiling were implemented/possible with gcc-3.5 and
61 portage easily - I'm fairly certain that would be of more value (would
62 that also help select the right CFLAGS ?)
65 Regards,
66 Klavs Klavsen, GSEC - kl@××××.dk - http://www.vsen.dk
67 PGP: 7E063C62/2873 188C 968E 600D D8F8 B8DA 3D3A 0B79 7E06 3C62
68
69 "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
70 --Henry Spencer
74 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list