From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <linux@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:04:07
1 Klavs Klavsen wrote:
2
3 >Chris Gianelloni said:
6 >> While I agree that there can be great performance increases, I believe
7 >>
8 >>that there is a definite trade-off between performance and
9 >>manageability. This would be wholly unmanageable without an army of
10 >>testers working around the clock until Gentoo ceased to be... *grin*
14 >The idea would ofcourse be that, only the "obvious" programs would be
15 >tested - but if profiling were implemented/possible with gcc-3.5 and
16 >portage easily - I'm fairly certain that would be of more value (would
17 >that also help select the right CFLAGS ?)
21 I would tend to agree here - if GCC 3.5 has features that can
22 automatically profile applications and use the correct optimisations
23 then there would be little point in spending the time doing this by hand
24 (even if using some automated test scripts).
25
26 I personally saw it being of use for larger applications in the tree,
27 such as Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP, Postfix, bincimap, Courier, KDE,
28 GNOME, GCC, GlibC etc. It would certainly be an impossible task to
29 perform this work on all of the tree for all archs :)
30
31 I personally use amd64 platform with fairly modest CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2
32 -pipe" at the moment - going for best all round performance with
33 stability. There are things such as fftw where I do try to optimise if
34 possible, and I would be interested in a 10% speed gain on the fftw
35 library for a 5 hour simulation run!
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list