From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's Social Contract & Bugzilla
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 07:13:26
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Lance Albertson wrote:
5 > Peter Gordon wrote:
6 >> Matthew Marlowe wrote:
7 >>> If we could get a license donated, my vote would be to switch to Atlassian
8 >>> Jira, http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira. It seems to be gaining
9 >>> mindshare rather quickly, and the company I work for just shelled out $2,400
10 >>> because they liked it so much more than RT/Bugzilla. I believe it supports
11 >>> multiple DB backends, including all the usual suspects.
12 >> Maybe it's just me, but I think that having such a core component of the
13 >> distribution be proprietary is in complete violation of Gentoo's Social
14 >> Contract[1] (if not the letter of it, then its spirit of openness). It
15 >> states:
16 >>
17 >> "Gentoo will never never depend upon a piece of software or
18 >> metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License,
19 >> the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
20 >> Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the
21 >> Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
22 >>
23 >> Isn't this one of the driving reasons why our forums run phpBB instead
24 >> of something like vBulletin, for example? :)
25 >>
26 >> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
27 >
28 > I'm not entirely sure if this is directed towards the supporting web
29 > applications or of Gentoo itself. To me its directed towards the meta
30 > distribution and not any of the underlying support mechanisms of Gentoo.
31 > If we were to use some non-gpl webapp, the underlying Gentoo system you
32 > run does not depend on a non-gpl piece of software. A bug tracking
33 > system is not an underlying component of Gentoo. Its just a tool that
34 > helps with development of Gentoo.
35 >
36 > But anyways, some people view it in the strict sense and they're
37 > entitled to it. That's just how I view it when I read it. Its a bit
38 > vague on what Gentoo really is. Is it talking only about the meta
39 > distribution? Or that plus the underlying supporting systems that help
40 > run Gentoo?
43 I think it is perfectly valid we use this kind of tools for development;
44 as far as i know, our SC refers to those components (in form of software
45 and metadata) to be free software upon which a user depend to build a
46 Gentoo system, and this isn't one of those components. Though i admit it
47 might bring some kind of 'controversy' .
48
49 /me remenbers bitkeeper
50
51 - --