From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's Social Contract & Bugzilla
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:55:51
1 Peter Gordon wrote:
2 > Matthew Marlowe wrote:
3 >> If we could get a license donated, my vote would be to switch to Atlassian
4 >> Jira, http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira. It seems to be gaining
5 >> mindshare rather quickly, and the company I work for just shelled out $2,400
6 >> because they liked it so much more than RT/Bugzilla. I believe it supports
7 >> multiple DB backends, including all the usual suspects.
8 >
9 > Maybe it's just me, but I think that having such a core component of the
10 > distribution be proprietary is in complete violation of Gentoo's Social
11 > Contract[1] (if not the letter of it, then its spirit of openness). It
12 > states:
13 >
14 > "Gentoo will never never depend upon a piece of software or
15 > metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License,
16 > the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
17 > Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the
18 > Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
19 >
20 > Isn't this one of the driving reasons why our forums run phpBB instead
21 > of something like vBulletin, for example? :)
22 >
23 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
24
25 I'm not entirely sure if this is directed towards the supporting web
26 applications or of Gentoo itself. To me its directed towards the meta
27 distribution and not any of the underlying support mechanisms of Gentoo.
28 If we were to use some non-gpl webapp, the underlying Gentoo system you
29 run does not depend on a non-gpl piece of software. A bug tracking
30 system is not an underlying component of Gentoo. Its just a tool that
31 helps with development of Gentoo.
32
33 But anyways, some people view it in the strict sense and they're
34 entitled to it. That's just how I view it when I read it. Its a bit
35 vague on what Gentoo really is. Is it talking only about the meta
36 distribution? Or that plus the underlying supporting systems that help
37 run Gentoo?
40 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
41 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
42
43 ---
44 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
45 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
46
47 ramereth/irc.freenode.net