From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:40:08
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, foser wrote:
5
6 > On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 20:07 -0500, Jason Huebel wrote:
8 > > Hash: SHA1
9 > >
10 > > On Tuesday 22 June 2004 04:54 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
11 > > > Option 2:
12 > > > STABLE="yes"
13 > > > STABLE="no"
14 > > > This is pretty straightforward, so I won't go in depth here.
15 > >
16 > > Damn, Donnie beat me to this. I prefer this over all the other solutions
17 > > presented.
18 >
19 > Read my other reply to where you say the same thing : it's duplication
20 > of info. Duplication is bad.
21 >
22 > - foser
23 >
24 I don't think it's just duplication. There have been so many of these, I
25 am not sure which one to attach this thought to, so I picked this one
26 because it is short. And, if I understand your point, this speaks to it.
27
28 I am arch(sparc), so for definiteness, I use sparc as a placeholder for
29 any architecture.
30
31 1. In one instance, if I, as sparc, mark something as KEYWORDS=sparc, it
32 means essentially one thing: In my best judgment this package is
33 stable for use on sparc. It doesn't say anything about other
34 architectures (except as evidence of goodness).
35
36 2. In a second instance, I am sparc & package maintainer. Now, if I
37 mark this package stable on sparc, I might mean one or more of at
38 least two possibilities:
39 a. I am package maintainer, I believe this package is stable,
40 and I happen to be on sparc.
41 b. I believe this package is stable on sparc, and I happen to
42 be its maintainer.
43
44 If you are on hppa, say, these three possibilties have different weight
45 as external evidence on the package's current state; namely,
46
47 2.a > 2.b > 1
48
49 To be fair, I do not know if the distinction 2.a <--> 2.b I just set up
50 ever comes up in practice. But I can imagine realistic cases in which
51 it could. (I am sparc only. Suppose I am working on something which
52 has endian issues. I can say with confidence that it is stable on sparc,
53 but this is much closer to my 2.b example than 2.a, because I cannot test
54 what I think the vulnerabilities are.)
55
56 Maybe I am misunderstanding your point, of maybe I am raising a strawman
57 which never occurs. In that case, you can safely ignore my comments.
58 But to me, the 2.a <--> 2.b distinction is real; perhaps it's one reason
59 ciaranm wants to see maintainer's reasons along with maintainer's
60 judgement.
61
62 Regards,
63 Ferris