From: Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag - gs
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:08:20
1 On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 18:58 -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > media-gfx/graphicsmagick:gs - enable ghostscript support
4 > > media-gfx/imagemagick:gs - enable ghostscript support
5 > > media-libs/urt:gs - Add support for postscript
6 > >
7 > > Looking in these ebuilds, all:
8 > > gs? ( virtual/ghostscript )
9 >
10 > For how many of these might it make sense to use "ps - enable postscript
11 > support" rather than "gs - enable ghostscript support"? If I understand
12 > correctly, the consensus is that use flags should reflect the capability
13 > enabled rather than the name of the library or package which provides
14 > that capability.
15
16 In doing some poking around and talking to a couple more devs, It seems
17 that the _unofficial_ consensus is that there be 5 or more packages that
18 use a particular flag before it is to move to global. There are
19 exception as always. Previously there has been great debate about where
20 the proverbial line is. Wherever the line, it must be posted to -dev
21 before the flag is committed to global.
22
23 And as for the flag reflecting the capability, you are absolutely
24 correct. The urt package seems to have mislabelled the entry in
25 use.local.desc.
26
27 I'm just letting this global use die a quiet death.
28 --
29 Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
30 lares/irc.freenode.net |
31 Gentoo x86 Arch Tester | ::0 Alberta, Canada
32 Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net | Encrypted Mail Preferred
33 Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628 C5D4 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E