From: Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com>
To: Chris Reffett <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:10:32
1 Hello Chris,
2
3 Friday, January 10, 2014, 1:08:39 AM, you wrote:
4
5 > Right here is the big problem: you're not looking at this from the
6 > perspective of the average Gentoo developer. We don't care about market
7 > share. We don't care whether we're on top for another few years. There
8 > are several forks of Gentoo. I doubt most devs care about them. I
9 > personally know that we're not going to compete with Debian, which has a
10 > huge contributor, or Ubuntu or Red Hat, which have whole companies
11 > behind them. You're selling this as if you're selling to a company which
12 > wants to be on the top of the market and beating out competitors, and
13 > that's not what we are. We are a source-based distro that requires some
14 > effort from users, and people want that or they don't want it.
15 >> What we need is a vote YES or NO. If you against it - vote NO. It's
16 >> perfectly normal, if there would be no NO there would be no need voting.
17
18 Thank you for you opinion.
19
20 The competition in open source world is much harder than with
21 commercial software. 3 commercial systems share 96% of the users.
22
23 1,6% of the users are shared by 296 Linux distros
24
25 You may think that you're outside this rules but the competition is natural
26 on the planet and Gentoo is certainly competing weather you want it or not.
27
28 Competition was long before a human foot stood on the ground for the first
29 time :-) And suddenly there is no competition in Linux world - do you really
30 belive in it?
34 Best regards,
35 Igor mailto:lanthruster@×××××.com