From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 21:09:24
1 On 01/09/2014 03:42 PM, Igor wrote:
2 > Hello Duncan,
3 >
4 > Thursday, January 9, 2014, 9:59:50 PM, you wrote:
5 >
6 > Thank you for the reply. I started to comment first... but it was more
7 > philosophy a mature and grown up, experienced man and I don't think
8 > I have right to comment it.
9 >
10 > Statistically if you have more users the probability of the system
11 > survival of any architecture, philosophy or type is higher. People
12 > learn, they're not fixed and if they at the beginning do not share
13 > the philosophy of the system but they can use it - they may like it,
14 > understand it and follow it and support later. Many people I asked
15 > are not minding to help Gentoo getting better by turning on
16 > feedback. If you remember - feedback worked well for Perl once and
17 > many used it and Perl is very traditional.
18 >
19 > It's like a chess game. You have the system in it's prime. There is
20 > already one fork from Gentoo. There will be more. It's inevitable. You
21 > have to understand that not all the developers share the same
22 > philosophy - and it OK.
23 > And they may fork Gentoo with time and pull half of the team to their
24 > side.
25 >
26 > When there is a competition between systems with equal philosophy the
27 > only thing that stands between who is going to live and who is going
28 > to die is the number of users.
29 > The fight will focus not around philosophy or system but around gaining
30 > user support. The competitor can build a better, more friendly system
31 > sharing basically the same design and he will win it over.
32 >
33 > To keep in power it's in your deepest interest to close the open gates that
34 > invite competition while the power is in your hands. This is a failure
35 > many grown up companies made they belive they're forever and gods. I could
36 > share with you privately with several examples that prove that concept
37 > wrong.
38 >
39 > Your competitors will build basically the same system targeting the
40 > same philosophy but more user oriented, friendly. User oriented - means
41 > each user opinion matters.
42 >
43 > There might be millions of users but each is treated like he is the only one.
46 > PortageQOS is small step, it's not everything or main part of the
47 > system, it's a just small contribution. But it will close the door and
48 > you'll have another peaceful 8 years to rule.
49 >
50 Right here is the big problem: you're not looking at this from the
51 perspective of the average Gentoo developer. We don't care about market
52 share. We don't care whether we're on top for another few years. There
53 are several forks of Gentoo. I doubt most devs care about them. I
54 personally know that we're not going to compete with Debian, which has a
55 huge contributor, or Ubuntu or Red Hat, which have whole companies
56 behind them. You're selling this as if you're selling to a company which
57 wants to be on the top of the market and beating out competitors, and
58 that's not what we are. We are a source-based distro that requires some
59 effort from users, and people want that or they don't want it.
60 > What we need is a vote YES or NO. If you against it - vote NO. It's
61 > perfectly normal, if there would be no NO there would be no need voting.
64 >> Actually, in that regard it's very possible that gentoo's long planned
65 >> and worked toward cvs-to-git conversion will help finally bust that
66 >> barrier for gentoo as well. Time will tell I guess, but that's one more
67 >> reason to try to help make it happen.
72 Chris Reffett