From: Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com>
To: Duncan <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 20:42:52
1 Hello Duncan,
2
3 Thursday, January 9, 2014, 9:59:50 PM, you wrote:
4
5 Thank you for the reply. I started to comment first... but it was more
6 philosophy a mature and grown up, experienced man and I don't think
7 I have right to comment it.
8
9 Statistically if you have more users the probability of the system
10 survival of any architecture, philosophy or type is higher. People
11 learn, they're not fixed and if they at the beginning do not share
12 the philosophy of the system but they can use it - they may like it,
13 understand it and follow it and support later. Many people I asked
14 are not minding to help Gentoo getting better by turning on
15 feedback. If you remember - feedback worked well for Perl once and
16 many used it and Perl is very traditional.
17
18 It's like a chess game. You have the system in it's prime. There is
19 already one fork from Gentoo. There will be more. It's inevitable. You
20 have to understand that not all the developers share the same
21 philosophy - and it OK.
22 And they may fork Gentoo with time and pull half of the team to their
23 side.
24
25 When there is a competition between systems with equal philosophy the
26 only thing that stands between who is going to live and who is going
27 to die is the number of users.
28 The fight will focus not around philosophy or system but around gaining
29 user support. The competitor can build a better, more friendly system
30 sharing basically the same design and he will win it over.
31
32 To keep in power it's in your deepest interest to close the open gates that
33 invite competition while the power is in your hands. This is a failure
34 many grown up companies made they belive they're forever and gods. I could
35 share with you privately with several examples that prove that concept
36 wrong.
37
38 Your competitors will build basically the same system targeting the
39 same philosophy but more user oriented, friendly. User oriented - means
40 each user opinion matters.
41
42 There might be millions of users but each is treated like he is the only one.
45 PortageQOS is small step, it's not everything or main part of the
46 system, it's a just small contribution. But it will close the door and
47 you'll have another peaceful 8 years to rule.
48
49 What we need is a vote YES or NO. If you against it - vote NO. It's
50 perfectly normal, if there would be no NO there would be no need voting.
53 > Actually, in that regard it's very possible that gentoo's long planned
54 > and worked toward cvs-to-git conversion will help finally bust that
55 > barrier for gentoo as well. Time will tell I guess, but that's one more
56 > reason to try to help make it happen.
62 Best regards,
63 Igor mailto:lanthruster@×××××.com