From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 18:00:38
1 Igor posted on Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:44:02 +0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > There is no data to tell what happens with Gentoo (to give that data is
4 > one of the goals of the project). We only have some formal esteems from
5 > unreliable sources.
6 >
7 > According to distro watch:
8 >
9 > In February 2012, Gentoo distro was in 19th place.
10 > In December 2012, Gentoo went to 22nd place.
11 > In December 2013, Gentoo is down to 32nd place
12
13 There was some discussion of this previously. The conclusion was
14 basically that gentooers don't tend to be the trend-watching type, nor,
15 really, are we really interested in the trend-watching type, as that's
16 not gentoo's base or target user. Instead, our users tend to be
17 independent customizers that aren't so interested in what the majority
18 thinks, but, rather find gentoo's general support for letting them make
19 of their gentoo installation what they will a very good match for their
20 needs. If that's not the best match or if their needs change, the fact
21 that gentoo takes more work than many distros because you have to
22 actually configure and build it, tends to have them quickly off to some
23 other distro that's a better fit for their less time/interest, more
24 cookie-cutter needs.
25
26 In a way, then, gentoo in the Linux ecosystem is what Linux itself is in
27 the more general OS ecosystem, and gentoo tends to get only the self-
28 selecting independent thinkers who value the ability to make their OS
29 what they want while never-the-less automating much of the process (thus
30 we aren't Linux from Scratch), in the same way that the same group, but
31 to a somewhat lessor extent, tend to be Linux users.
32
33 And just as a significant subset of those Linux users and devs value
34 their (software) freedom and independence enough to not be willing to
35 sacrifice it just to have Linux more popular and maybe exceed MS, so a
36 lot of Gentoo users and devs aren't willing to compromise on gentoo's
37 ideals of highly customizable individuality just to see us rise in
38 rankings such as distro-watch. If it happens, great, but it won't
39 greatly affect the way gentoo is developed, and if it doesn't happen, no
40 big deal anyway, since that's not something we consider significant or
41 important, particularly /because/ we recognize that sort of user isn't
42 what gentoo's targeting in the first place.
43
44 > According to Linux Counter
45 >
46 > In January 2012, Gentoo distro had 5.32%
47 > In January 2012, Gentoo had 4.04%
48 > In November 2013, Gentoo had 4,21%
49
50 I guess one of those January 2012s is supposed to be something
51 different...
52
53 Same thing here, really, tho the reason is a bit different.
54
55 I know *I* certainly haven't registered with linuxcounter, and don't
56 expect I ever will, either. I see it as useless at best, and yet another
57 way to be tracked at worst. (I /do/ deliberately keep my browser's user-
58 agent string set to Linux instead of setting it to say the latest MS
59 Windows version, and deliberately kept 64-bit back when 32-bit was the
60 norm for similar reasons, so sites that I visit and thus care about can
61 count that, but I most certainly do NOT let the various third-party
62 tracing sites do their thing, using tools such as firefox plugins
63 noscript, request-policy and cookie permissions, as well as privoxy, to
64 help me keep that information out of third-party-tracker's hands.)
65
66 Tho interestingly, that does show percentage stabilizing or even
67 increasing a bit between the second and third samples. What it means,
68 however, I'm not going to attempt to guess. For all I know it simply
69 means a few gentooers don't object to being tracked as strongly as they
70 once did, which is actually slightly disturbing to me, tho it's their
71 life so they get to decide, not me.
72
73 > And from my experience of Gentoo forums, gentoo.wiki - I vote for Gentoo
74 > at least not gaining new users.
75
76 That would be a more interesting number, there. But you don't provide
77 stats for that one, and personal perception such as yours above for those
78 constantly involved is notoriously inaccurate. Someone who left for a
79 couple years and came back tends to see changes much better, for the same
80 reason you don't tend to notice changes in a friend as you grow old
81 together, unless you're separated for a few years and then meet again.
82
83 I wonder what the forums stats counts are. I know there's mailing list
84 activity stats as I've seen them posted occasionally, but I'm not sure if
85 there's anything like that for the forums... That would give us some
86 concrete numbers to work with.
87
88 > If in several years the number of users is not increased - we can tell
89 > about stagnation.
90
91 As I've personally argued about Linux, if popularity comes at the cost of
92 loss of freedom, etc, it's not worth it. There's worse things than
93 seeing numbers stagnate, and losing our ideals in a likely futile pursuit
94 of popularity (what's the chances of gentoo topping Red Hat even if we
95 forsook all that makes gentoo gentoo and tried? that's not what we're
96 good at or care about) is one of them.
97
98 > It's all not very well thought after at this stage but immediate goals
99 > are like this:
102 > * Knowledge of [... multiple suggestions for tracking various things
103 potentially objectionable to gentoo users.]
104
105 I suspect that the various gentoo stats efforts failed for the same
106 reason I suspect fewer than normal gentoo users are registered with
107 linuxcounter... Gentoo users tend to be the independent sort, and have a
108 distinct aversion to being counted or tracked. A few might opt in, but
109 not enough to get particularly good or reliable data, and if it were opt-
110 out or worse-yet hard-coded, we'd likely lose a lot of gentoo users over
111 it, not just because of the tracking objection itself (many can patch
112 that out if they have too, as I did gentoo/kde's hard-coded semantic-
113 desktop stuff here, when they tried to dump the flag in early kde 4.11,
114 tho fortunately they returned it before 4.11 stabilized), but because
115 that sort of hard-coding would be a betrayal of everything that a lot of
116 gentoo users have come to gentoo FOR, so were it to happen, it'd be time
117 to leave.
120 Meanwhile, those of us who have been around gentoo for a few years have
121 seen the "gentoo's stagnating/dying and here's what it must do to be-
122 popular-again/survive" thread several times over, by now. Gentoo's
123 still here; I'm still here. Those ideas... aren't... until they come
124 around for another round, as they seem to do every couple years...
125
126 And FWIW, gentoo's number of devs rose until it hit something around 300,
127 then it fell back a bit (I think it reached 350 or so before they started
128 actively retiring devs who had disappeared for quite some time, but I
129 believe the number of active devs has never much exceeded 300, if that),
130 but has remained relatively steady around 250-ish devs, 200 or so active
131 depending on definition of "active", for several years now. Sometimes it
132 goes down a few, then it goes up a few, but overall it remains about the
133 same.
134
135 Which actually fits various organizational/group dynamics models,
136 apparently, too. There's (apparently, this was posted one of the other
137 times a discussion like this came up, and it makes sense, but I've not
138 looked into it further) some studies to the effect that there are several
139 group size thresholds. IIRC (and I may not) the maximum effective size
140 for small groups was 20-50. At about that point, conflict goes up and
141 groups either adapt and change their practices to grow, or drop down
142 below that number again and tend to stay there. There's another such
143 threshold at 250-350, forcing further group practices adaption to grow
144 further. A number of FLOSS groups reach that one and never pass it, and
145 gentoo has been right there for some years now. But if that threshold is
146 passed, the group can grow relatively unrestrained again, to a size of
147 several thousand. I believe Debian is one of the few all-community
148 examples of passing the 250-350 threshold, but that they're stuck at the
149 next one, 2500-3000.
150
151 I think the kernel has passed the 250-350 barrier now too, with git and
152 the distributed hierarchy of kernel lieutenants, codified signed-off-by
153 practices, etc, helping with that. Before the distributed git and
154 bitkeeper before that on the technical side, however, and before the
155 hierarchy of kernel lieutenants was established, there was a real crisis,
156 as Linus really was becoming the bottleneck, and nobody really knew how
157 to fix it as there's only so much one man can do. But they worked thru
158 the issues and busted that cap, and the kernel's moving faster than ever
159 thought possible, before.
160
161 If that is indeed the case, then in ordered to grow, gentoo needs to
162 figure out how to get past that 250-350 developer threshold, and until/
163 unless we do, we'll "stagnate" in at least active developer numbers. IOW,
164 it's primarily a social/organizational problem, not a technical problem,
165 tho as with the kernel and bitkeeper and then git, the right technical
166 tools can help.
167
168 Actually, in that regard it's very possible that gentoo's long planned
169 and worked toward cvs-to-git conversion will help finally bust that
170 barrier for gentoo as well. Time will tell I guess, but that's one more
171 reason to try to help make it happen.
176 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman