From: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:54:58
1 On Friday 02 May 2003 03:23 pm, Wouter van Kleunen wrote:
2 > For example firewall generators generate init scripts. And sysvinit
3 > frontends (KDE has a frontend) uses it. I think also mandrake has a
4 > frontend for selecting which services get booted. I dunno about suse or
5 > red hat. I don't say these distro's should immediatly start using this
6 > init. But your claim that only 1 program parses these files is not true.
7
8 I'm not sure if those are particularly good counter examples. I'm not totally
9 familiar with KDE's frontend, but I was, at a time, familiar with the
10 Linuxconf equivalent.
11
12 Sysvinit frontends probably do not actually look inside the init scripts; all
13 they care about is the filename. The menus for selecting which service to run
14 at boot are really asking which script files you want in which runlevels.
15 Most frontends serve only to manipulate the symlinks. So the script's format
16 is still parsed by only one program.
17
18 As for firewall generators...what sort of generated script are you talking
19 about? I'd imagine you mean that the program merely generates a sequence of
20 iptables commands which initialize the tables correctly, since iptables
21 doesn't have a file format of it's own. I'm not sure how wrapping the
22 sequence of commands in XML markup is accomplishing anything....
23
24 That said, don't take my criticisms too harshly. I think there's much that can
25 be done to improve Gentoo's init system (despite it's being quite good,
26 compared to other systems, at present), and I think your direction is
27 interesting. But there are a number of things in your approach which give me
28 pause.
29
30 Good luck in any case,
31 Evan