From: Wouter van Kleunen <kleunen@××××××××××.nl>
To: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 20:03:21
1 On Fri, 2 May 2003, Evan Powers wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 02 May 2003 03:23 pm, Wouter van Kleunen wrote:
4 > > For example firewall generators generate init scripts. And sysvinit
5 > > frontends (KDE has a frontend) uses it. I think also mandrake has a
6 > > frontend for selecting which services get booted. I dunno about suse or
7 > > red hat. I don't say these distro's should immediatly start using this
8 > > init. But your claim that only 1 program parses these files is not true.
9 >
10 > I'm not sure if those are particularly good counter examples. I'm not totally
11 > familiar with KDE's frontend, but I was, at a time, familiar with the
12 > Linuxconf equivalent.
13 >
14 > Sysvinit frontends probably do not actually look inside the init scripts; all
15 > they care about is the filename. The menus for selecting which service to run
16 > at boot are really asking which script files you want in which runlevels.
17 > Most frontends serve only to manipulate the symlinks. So the script's format
18 > is still parsed by only one program.
19 >
20 Yes that is true. In my program that would be equivalent with editing a
21 profile in xml format.
22
23 > As for firewall generators...what sort of generated script are you talking
24 > about? I'd imagine you mean that the program merely generates a sequence of
25 > iptables commands which initialize the tables correctly, since iptables
26 > doesn't have a file format of it's own. I'm not sure how wrapping the
27 > sequence of commands in XML markup is accomplishing anything....
28 >
29 I could think of writing a module that will read the firewall rules from a
30 xml config file. That config file will be edited by a frontend
31
32 > That said, don't take my criticisms too harshly. I think there's much that can
33 > be done to improve Gentoo's init system (despite it's being quite good,
34 > compared to other systems, at present), and I think your direction is
35 > interesting. But there are a number of things in your approach which give me
36 > pause.
37 >
38 > Good luck in any case,
39 > Evan