From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/ocaml - to be or not to be
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:33:56
1 Ingo Bormuth wrote:
2 > Hi dev-list,
3 >
4 > what is the rule concerning when to introduce new virtuals?
5 >
6 > I created an ebuild for metaocaml which is a real drop in replacement for
7 > the ocaml programming language allowing for metaprogramming and dynamic
8 > linking. Metaocaml in fact is a patched version of ocaml.
9 > For licence reasons the patch is not available so I cannot optionally
10 > apply it in the ocaml ebuild.
11 >
12 > Would you in such a case create a new virtual or just
13 > PROVIDE "dev-lang/ocaml" in the metaocaml ebuild ?
14 >
15 > More information: Bug #111407
16 >
17 > Thanks Ingo
21 For a small number of deps ( IE 2 providers ) you can use an || depend atom.
22
23 || ( dev-lang/ocaml dev-lang/metaocaml ) -> for example
24
25 Regardless of the outcome ( virtual vs no virtual ) the virtual should
26 be a new style, and not an old style virtual. I would say one is not
27 necessary here however.
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list