From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:59:42
1 On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 18:28 +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:11:11 +0100
3 > Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thursday 19 June 2008 02:43:12 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 > > > Nope. What I see as a problem is that the primary author and
7 > > > current de facto maintainer is so much of an asshole that he was
8 > > > forcibly removed from the Gentoo project, which PMS is supposed to
9 > > > be written for, and has ostracized (at least) one of the package
10 > > > manager's development team with his constant not-so-subtle
11 > > > attacks. Quite frankly, I'd prefer see Gentoo take control over
12 > > > the specification that defines the most important single feature of
13 > > > Gentoo and remove the non-Gentoo developers from its development.
14 > > > No offense, but you're not a Gentoo developer any longer and you
15 > > > shouldn't have a say in how *we* manage ourselves. You're more
16 > > > than welcome to contribute code, fork, or whatever the hell you
17 > > > want. This is open source, after all, but that doesn't mean you
18 > > > should be allowed to hold the position of power over Gentoo that
19 > > > you've been granted.
20 > >
21 > > I would like to see Gentoo grow some balls and start banning people
22 > > from -dev and other media used. I don't mean temporary bans, I mean
23 > > for life.
24 > >
25 > > Yes, it's not nice. Yes, Gentoo should be open for all and encourage
26 > > participation from all. However, some people have demonstrated time
27 > > and time again over quite a number of years that they wont change no
28 > > matter what. These people are posionous [1].
29 >
30 > Slightly ironic for me to suggest this, but...
31 >
32 > It is the gentoo-dev mailing list, restrict posting to gentoo devs
33 > (i.e. only people with a @gentoo.org email address) would make a lot of
34 > sense.
37 Not really. It's there for general discussion of development matters,
38 not developer matters. Some of the most interesting posts are from
39 non-developers. gentoo-core is restricted.
40
41 > Rob.
42
43 Regards,
44 Ferris
45 --
46 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
47 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)