From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 05:43:23
1 On 16/10/16 10:43 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sunday, October 16, 2016 9:19:25 PM EDT Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 >>
4 >> *IF* we were going to make use of upstream vs gentoo-generated binary
5 >> packages in the tree, they *WOULD* block one-another as they would
6 >> collide file-wise at least partially if not completely. So there
7 >> wouldn't be any testing between the two variants on the same installed
8 >> system.
9 >
10 > That was not an argument I was initially making as justification, but via
11 > slotting and changing names of binaries and/or paths it could be done.
12 >
13 > It is in part why systems like eselect exist to switch between
14 > implementations. In Java's case there is a wrapper around all binaries that is
15 > called, which handles which ones is used. run-java-tool.bash. In addition to
16 > things like java-cpnfig etc.
17 >
18 > Also why there is gcc-config, binutils-config, etc. Part of the beauty of Gentoo
19 > is installing things that collide, and switching between them for testing.
20 >
21 >>> Maybe the upstream binary runs better, does not crash, etc. Or the Gentoo
22 >>> one does. If the Gentoo one is better, it could be used to get a
23 >>> reluctant upstream to make changes. If worse could be used to help figure
24 >>> out where its going wrong.
25 >>
26 >> OK, so here's how things *actually work* in the gentoo repo:
27 >
28 > Because I need such an explanation? I think it could be a little less harsh
29 > no?
30 >
31 >> #1, binary packages aren't made unless there's a really good reason
32 >> for them -- the primary one being that there isn't any other option
33 >> provided by upstream.
34 >
35 > Is that a mandated policy? There are ebuilds in tree that are not that way.
36 >
37 >> #2, if there is a binary package then the only reason why a gentoo dev
38 >> would roll it instead of using upstream's version is because the
39 >> upstream one fails hard or has too many bugs, security
40 >> vulnerabilities, whatever. This is as much done on a per-version
41 >> basis within a package as it is on a per-package one.
42 >
43 > There is a 3rd case, where the package is to complex to package from source.
44 > Things like jenkins-bin, and there are others... jenkins can be packaged from
45 > source, as some others can be. If they were -sbin, maybe more would be aware
46 > and try to package from source vs use as binary because it is to hard to
47 > package from source.
48 >
49 >> All of this discussion is centered around trying to bring convention
50 >> to a problem that simply doesn't exist.
51 >
52 > Maybe you are just not aware. Which if the packages were required to be named,
53 > say -sbin a binary that is a from source package, just not packaged you would
54 > be aware.
55 >
56 > They exist, go look! Also seems to be growing.
57 >
58 >> Also, if the idea here is to
59 >> open the door for a flood of gentoo-dev-rolled *-bin packages in the
60 >> gentoo repo for end-user convenience,
61 >
62 > No that is not the case, and that is done in extreme limited case. I am not
63 > pushing for more binary packages by any means. It would simply be to
64 > differentiate, so anyone knows by file name what they are getting, from
65 > upstream or from Gentoo.
66 >
67 >> then we should similarly stop
68 >> this discussion right now too. How about, instead, you could focus on
69 >> setting up two (additional) repos -- one containing gentoo-built
70 >> binary packages, another containing upstream-only packages.
71 >
72 > That is not my goal. I am trying to bring to attention -bin packages in tree.
73 > -sbin packages should draw attention to get people to package them from
74 > source.
75 >
76 >> That way
77 >> it'll be very obvious to end-users what they'll be using because
78 >> they'll know exactly based on where it comes from.
79 >
80 > This is an issue of things already in tree, and packages being added in tree,
81 > in Gentoo's repo. Which I obviously cannot do so its not my work.
82 >
83 >> It'll also be very
84 >> easy for end-users to control which one is used, just by choosing
85 >> which repo it comes from. AND, it'll keep them from polluting the
86 >> main gentoo repo too.
87 >
88 > It is already polluted, seems you are unaware, but now you know.
89 >
90 > Likely wasn't intentional but came across VERY hostile, and completely missing
91 > the mark and point.
94 It wasn't meant to be hostile but yes my patience was lacking and I
95 apologize.
96
97 I agree, there are a number of binary packages in the tree already and
98 fortunately most of them have a -bin in their name despite this not
99 being any formal requirement. There is also no particular policy that
100 I am aware of for ensuring packages are designed to be built from
101 source first and foremost -- however it doesn't make much sense to
102 have a source-based distro full of precompiled binaries and so I do
103 believe pretty well every developer strives to make this so whenever
104 possible, given that's sort of our purpose here.