From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:27:22
1 On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 09:47 -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Fri Mar 24 2006, 08:55:30AM EST]
3 > > As I've said, my only request is a single policy that before an overlay
4 > > can become publicly readable on overlays.gentoo.org (which is Gentoo
5 > > infrastructure) that it does not break packages in the main tree that
6 > > are not in the overlay.
7 >
8 > This makes sense, but what's the content of such a policy? Take your
9 > gcc-5.1.99 example: say it "breaks" lots of packages in portage. Is
10 > it not allowed to be in a publicly accessible overlay in that case?
11 > If that's not the policy, then what policy allows gcc-5.1.99 but still
12 > covers the ground you want covered?
13
14 I see your point here and honestly do not have an answer. I don't want
15 to limit what people can do in the overlays so much as reduce the
16 "collateral damage" that can be done. Honestly stuff like the toolchain
17 is a bit of an exception only because that information all shows up on
18 an "emerge --info" already.
19
20 I really can't think of much besides kernel + toolchain that can have
21 such devastating effects to the rest of the tree. The only other
22 massive breakages would be via eclasses, which was my main target.
23
24 Does anyone have any ideas how we could resonably reduce problems
25 reported from things such as toolchain breakages in an overlay, yet
26 still not punish the people running the overlay by disallowing it? I
27 surely wouldn't want to limit the toolchain maintainers from being able
28 to enjoy the use of an overlay if they wished it.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
33 x86 Architecture Team
34 Games - Developer