From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git-2.eclass final review
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:55:28
1 On 10:44 Wed 23 Mar , James Cloos wrote:
2 > TC> So live with it.
3 >
4 > I cannot. It makes the eclass useless.
5 >
6 > I have almost 2 gigs of bare repo in distdirs/git-src.
7 >
8 > A forced re-download of all of that is just not possible!
9 >
10 > The existing distdir clones *MUST* continue to work.
11 >
12 > My applogies for not having looked for this kind of breakage in the new
13 > eclass before now. The current git eclass finally got the submodules-
14 > vs-normal stuff worked out some time ago; the possibility of going
15 > backwards never occurred to me.... ☹
16 >
17 > As someone who makes heavy use of live ebuilds, someone who will be
18 > directly and severely affected by such a change, I have to beg you
19 > to keep the current logic for submodule-less repos.
20
21 I was discussing a couple of ideas on IRC with scarabeus yesterday but
22 haven't had a chance to look into them in more detail yet:
23
24 - Providing automatic migration from the old system to the new. This is
25 the simplest approach to deal with your specific problem but still
26 leaves separate codepaths for submodule and non-submodule repos.
27
28 - Handling submodules in bare checkouts. Perhaps we could detect whether
29 submodules are in use (need to find the right place/way in git), then
30 grab them as separate bare checkouts that would eventually be cloned
31 into TMPDIR by changing the repo location git looks for (again, need to
32 sort out how in git).
35 Thanks,
36 Donnie
37