From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git-2.eclass final review
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:48:31
1 >>>>> "TC" == Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> writes:
2
3 TC> I explained multiple times already why bare checkouts are not
4 TC> working in our case.
5
6 Wait a minute.
7
8 Not using bare clones in DISTDIR is completely unacceptable here.
9
10 It is bad enough to have to use non-bare for repos which have
11 submodules. Doing so for all is b0rked.
12
13 TC> I don't get why you guys keep repeating it like in the loop.
14
15 I didn't notice that bug until you just pointed it out. Nor did I see
16 any of the explanations you mention above.
17
18 TC> (I also asked for some implementation where the bare would be possible
19 TC> with submodules stored in distdir, yet nobody said it is possible)
20
21 TC> So live with it.
22
23 I cannot. It makes the eclass useless.
24
25 I have almost 2 gigs of bare repo in distdirs/git-src.
26
27 A forced re-download of all of that is just not possible!
28
29 The existing distdir clones *MUST* continue to work.
30
31 My applogies for not having looked for this kind of breakage in the new
32 eclass before now. The current git eclass finally got the submodules-
33 vs-normal stuff worked out some time ago; the possibility of going
34 backwards never occurred to me.... ☹
35
36 As someone who makes heavy use of live ebuilds, someone who will be
37 directly and severely affected by such a change, I have to beg you
38 to keep the current logic for submodule-less repos.
39
40 P.S. The kind of clone used in distdir is irrelevant to the
41 fact that git-clone should be used to populate $S.
42
43 -JimC
44 --
45 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6