From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:37:47
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 15:19, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 >
3 > I think you may be confusing the snapshot we make for GRP packages
4 > with the proposed stable tree. There are no plans to offer GRP
5 > packages of the stable tree.
6 >
7 > Not to say we can't/won't do it, but it's not included as part of this
8 > GLEP. Again, if the QA folks want to leverage this tree and provide
9 > additional QA efforts around it, that's great. That's not the primary
10 > target of this GLEP, however.
11
12 I think that such a fixed tree is particularly suited for binary packages. It
13 will not have some of the problems that normal GRP has.
14
15 On the QA point, I believe that there is not much point into making a fixed
16 try without looking at QA. About the keywords issue, I expect ebuild
17 maintainers to put an effort into actually trying to get one ebuild version
18 for all archs that support the package.
19
20 For this reason I prefer to have a separate (temporary) staging area where one
21 can copy candidate ebuilds and their auxiliary files to. This area can then
22 be reviewed by the arch people to judge the stability. At some point then the
23 ebuilds would be put into a fixed tree. This idea actually will not use
24 branching (as cvs does not support copying files)
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer