From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scipy ?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 04:16:50
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I meant moves were largely pointless, although categories are to a
3 > lesser extent. Tags would be a lot better, since nothing can be
4 > categorized perfectly into a single place.
5
6 Yes, I can see the benefit of a tag paradigm. I, myself, find it more
7 trouble than benefit to have the extra directory level. I often do "cd
8 /usr/portage/*/foo" to get to the foo package, and it often gets a hit
9 in licenses or elsewhere that trips up this practice...
10
11 > I don't think it's worth losing track of the CVS history just so we can
12 > have something in a different place that ultimately is hardly useful to
13 > anyone.
14
15 Ah yes, CVS would present a problem here. I suppose if/when the whole
16 tree is converted to svn, at that point moves would be more practical.
17 Too bad, though, that this has become a barrier to the ability to change
18 a category easily and without losing the history.
19
20 -Joe
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list