From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:54:27
1 On Wednesday 25 February 2004 00:32, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 17 February 2004 12:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > We won't be adding versions of XFree86 with the 1.1 license [1] to the
4 > > tree, so don't be surprised when 4.3.99.903 doesn't show up with the new
5 > > license.
6 > >
7 > > I won't elaborate on the reasons because it's been discussed quite
8 > > thoroughly in other forums.
9 >
10 > I hate to kick a dead horse, but...
11 >
12 > I've read all the reasons and understand them and don't wish to dispute
13 > them, but I do have one small question. What's the difference between this
14 > situation and the GPL'd Linux kernel "linking" against functions in the
15 > close-sourced BIOS, ACPI, APM, etc, etc?
16
17 The kernel doesn't link against those things. Actually the kernel doesn't link
18 against anything ouside of the kernel itself (i.e. glibc, etc.) since those
19 things wouldn't be available when the kernel is starting. Using hardware
20 features is quite a bit different than linking against certain libraries.
21 It's kind of the same as the difference between kernel space and user space
22 (but not even close). We can have non-gpl'ed userspace programs even if they
23 call the kernel in some way (and they all do, even a open() eventually gets
24 to the kernel).
25
26 --Iggy
29 > Regards,