From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three teir portage: stable, prestable, unstable?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:09:07
1 On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 11:46, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Tuesday 07 October 2003 00:08, foser wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 00:08, Ian Leitch wrote:
7 > > > As I'm sure all devs know, ~arch is used for other things than just
8 > > > testing ebuilds.
9 > > >
10 > > > "The purpose of ~arch is for testing new packages added to Portage. This
11 > > > is not the equivalent of "testing" of "unstable" in other
12 > > > distributions." - Development Policy
13 > >
14 > > Well then that is a violation of policy. Developers who do this should
15 > > 'change their ways'.
16 >
17 > Or change the policy
18
19 Yeah, change the policy whenever it fits and nobody follows it, you can
20 drop policies altogether if you start reasoning like that.
21
22 > > I think package.mask is indeed not the best solution for development
23 > > versions of packages, but neither do i think we should have an official
24 > > 'unstable branch'. We have trouble enough to keep 'stable' stable and
25 > > up-to-date as it is, no need to add another official burden to it.
28 > I like the idea of adding this keyword. There are packages whose ebuilds are
29 > stable, and are reasonably stable, but still release candidates etc.
30 > Currently the status of such packages is unclear. Sometimes they are put into
31 > stable, sometimes they stay masked, and sometimes they are marked testing
32 > (which they should start out with, as then they are new).
33
34 No their status is quite clear according to policy. That practice proves
35 otherwise in some cases is in my opinion a developers mistake.
36
37 > Take for example the openoffice-1.1_rc? series. Those from rc3 onwards have
38 > been almost equal to the final release (what source is concerned, the build
39 > procedure was fixed). Current policy required them to be masked as they are
40 > unstable releases, while in fact being quite stable. We had various requests
41 > to remove them from the package.mask file. That, however, would be a
42 > violation of policy. An extra keyword could help in that respect.
43
44 No, the policy states that in the end it is up to the maintainer to
45 assess the stability of a package, in case of openoffice which is well
46 maintained in portage -afaik- i can see a developer deciding to mark it
47 stable, but this shouldn't become common use. In general packages are
48 maintained on a more distant basis, where the developer is not too
49 involved with the package and can't judge it properly, so leaving the
50 decision to the upstream developers (who to judge better?). Here policy
51 should be strictly followed. No need for an extra keyword, yet another
52 USE flag, etc. : just don't add it.
53
54 > > The only reason i see for adding an extra layer is for 'big' stuff that
55 > > needs serious testing : KDE/GNOME development series maybe, arch
56 > > additions to the tree (amd64 anyone), introduction of new eclasses, etc.
57 > > Those should be entered to the tree in some special protected
58 > > environment first, where they get proper testing (maybe by a selected
59 > > few) and then when reaching stability can be added to the tree with
60 > > relative ease (not one developer throwing in his local tree one night at
61 > > once).
62 > I think that is another discussion although I agree with it.
63
64 I don't think so, i think that is exactly what this is about. My point
65 is really that development releases shouldn't be in portage, but that we
66 do need a way to test them to some extent to adapt to upcoming stable
67 releases. As soon as we add them to portage they become a
68 responsibility. Something we can't have, since the package just isn't
69 officially stable. I see this in a bit broader perspective here than
70 just development releases.
71
72 Like people asking why the development releases of GNOME enter the tree
73 so late in the development process. Well, it might be fairly stable and
74 usable to the general home user, but there are still known bugs and
75 things to work out. I just can't guarantee a safe,problem free upgrade
76 for say a small company running GNOME desktops who rely on stability.
77
78 You can see the same already with package.mask, which was meant as a way
79 to mask packages not working/being worked on. Yet users install these
80 packages at will as if they were normal packages (only slightly annoyed
81 by the fact that it takes some extra effort). Yes we need the testing,
82 but no, users shouldn't install those without knowing what they do
83 (which in my opinion is what happens most of the time). Makes me think
84 of the libiconv bugs we get every now and then, it shouldn't be used,
85 but users install it anyway and are left with the pieces. I don't think
86 most of the users ever read the p.mask comments why something is masked.
87
88 - foser
92 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list