From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three teir portage: stable, prestable, unstable?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 09:46:06
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tuesday 07 October 2003 00:08, foser wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 00:08, Ian Leitch wrote:
6 > > As I'm sure all devs know, ~arch is used for other things than just
7 > > testing ebuilds.
8 > >
9 > > "The purpose of ~arch is for testing new packages added to Portage. This
10 > > is not the equivalent of "testing" of "unstable" in other
11 > > distributions." - Development Policy
12 >
13 > Well then that is a violation of policy. Developers who do this should
14 > 'change their ways'.
15
16 Or change the policy
19 > I think package.mask is indeed not the best solution for development
20 > versions of packages, but neither do i think we should have an official
21 > 'unstable branch'. We have trouble enough to keep 'stable' stable and
22 > up-to-date as it is, no need to add another official burden to it.
25 I like the idea of adding this keyword. There are packages whose ebuilds are
26 stable, and are reasonably stable, but still release candidates etc.
27 Currently the status of such packages is unclear. Sometimes they are put into
28 stable, sometimes they stay masked, and sometimes they are marked testing
29 (which they should start out with, as then they are new).
30
31 Take for example the openoffice-1.1_rc? series. Those from rc3 onwards have
32 been almost equal to the final release (what source is concerned, the build
33 procedure was fixed). Current policy required them to be masked as they are
34 unstable releases, while in fact being quite stable. We had various requests
35 to remove them from the package.mask file. That, however, would be a
36 violation of policy. An extra keyword could help in that respect.
37 >
38 > How would stable become more stable ? Stable should be stable as it is,
39 > if it isn't because of development packages, then that is because
40 > developers do not follow policy as it stands (or interpret it the wrong
41 > way). That was put into place to ensure stability.
42 >
43 I think he means by not including development packages that come from upstream
44 except in exception cases. I do think that even packages that would use the
45 new keyword would need to follow the current stability policy. Another option
46 could be just to add an extra keyword say "dev" that would be arch
47 independent, but would signal the development package status of the upstream
48 sources. This would need some portage changes as packages should then only be
49 merged if this keyword is not specified unless the user makes changes to
50 make.conf
53 > The only reason i see for adding an extra layer is for 'big' stuff that
54 > needs serious testing : KDE/GNOME development series maybe, arch
55 > additions to the tree (amd64 anyone), introduction of new eclasses, etc.
56 > Those should be entered to the tree in some special protected
57 > environment first, where they get proper testing (maybe by a selected
58 > few) and then when reaching stability can be added to the tree with
59 > relative ease (not one developer throwing in his local tree one night at
60 > once).
63 I think that is another discussion although I agree with it.
64
65 Paul
66
67 - --