From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three teir portage: stable, prestable, unstable?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:10:11
1 On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 00:08, Ian Leitch wrote:
2 > As I'm sure all devs know, ~arch is used for other things than just
3 > testing ebuilds.
4 >
5 > "The purpose of ~arch is for testing new packages added to Portage. This
6 > is not the equivalent of "testing" of "unstable" in other
7 > distributions." - Development Policy
8
9 Well then that is a violation of policy. Developers who do this should
10 'change their ways'.
11
12 > Making these changes would sort out this little problem/mess whatever
13 > you want to call it. I also think the extra unstable branch would take
14 > some weight off package.mask, which could then be reserved for the need
15 > to mask a package for temporary licensing issues etc.. without removing
16 > it from portage.
17
18 I think package.mask is indeed not the best solution for development
19 versions of packages, but neither do i think we should have an official
20 'unstable branch'. We have trouble enough to keep 'stable' stable and
21 up-to-date as it is, no need to add another official burden to it.
22
23 > Stable would also gradulay become more stable. We can't match Debian for
24 > stability but we could have the best of both worlds: up-to-date,
25 > reasonably stable software. This must be pretty attractive to those
26 > using Gentoo on the server and more importantly, those thinking about
27 > it.
28
29 How would stable become more stable ? Stable should be stable as it is,
30 if it isn't because of development packages, then that is because
31 developers do not follow policy as it stands (or interpret it the wrong
32 way). That was put into place to ensure stability.
33
34 The only reason i see for adding an extra layer is for 'big' stuff that
35 needs serious testing : KDE/GNOME development series maybe, arch
36 additions to the tree (amd64 anyone), introduction of new eclasses, etc.
37 Those should be entered to the tree in some special protected
38 environment first, where they get proper testing (maybe by a selected
39 few) and then when reaching stability can be added to the tree with
40 relative ease (not one developer throwing in his local tree one night at
41 once).
42
43 - foser
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list