From: Ian Leitch <port001@g.o>
To: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three teir portage: stable, prestable, unstable?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:14:11
1 On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 21:51, Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 17:47, Ian Leitch wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I'm sure this HAS to have been discussed before, and if it has, it was
6 > > before my time. I'd like to hear peoples opinions and what the
7 > > conclusion was from earlier discussions.
8 > >
9 > > Just to make everything clear, I will outline exactly what I have in
10 > > mind.
11 > >
12 > > In my view, the portage tree would benefit from having the following:
13 >
14 > How? Why does this warrant a radical change to the system?
15
16 As I'm sure all devs know, ~arch is used for other things than just
17 testing ebuilds.
18
19 "The purpose of ~arch is for testing new packages added to Portage. This
20 is not the equivalent of "testing" of "unstable" in other
21 distributions." - Development Policy
22
23 Making these changes would sort out this little problem/mess whatever
24 you want to call it. I also think the extra unstable branch would take
25 some weight off package.mask, which could then be reserved for the need
26 to mask a package for temporary licensing issues etc.. without removing
27 it from portage.
28
29 Stable would also gradulay become more stable. We can't match Debian for
30 stability but we could have the best of both worlds: up-to-date,
31 reasonably stable software. This must be pretty attractive to those
32 using Gentoo on the server and more importantly, those thinking about
33 it.
34
35 Regards,
36 Ian.