From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 11:21:17
1 On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:36:17PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:38:06 +0200
3 > Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o> wrote:
4 > > One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the
5 > > correct language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because
6 > > ebuilds should only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time.
7 > > Those bugs should be detected and fixed.
8 >
9 > I disagree. LINGUAS is a Gentoo-specific thing, so is only relevant to
10 > ebuilds. If a package uses LC_* to determine the user's locale
11 > preferences, I see no problem with that.
12
13 LINGUAS is not Gentoo-specific at all. Gentoo didn't even come up with
14 it. It's a gettext variable, which is re-used (with an annoyingly
15 slightly different meaning) by Gentoo.
16
17 That said, if a package can only install one translation at a time, and
18 it detects this at compile-time via LC_*, it's sort of braindead at
19 least. (A creates a package for B. B would like the Italian version. A
20 does not know any Italian. There is a build error. Because the system
21 forced LC_* to be set to Italian, A has no idea what the errors mean.)
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list