From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:29:49
1 On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:38:06 +0200
2 Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > there are at least two problems with how portage currently handles
7 > locales:
8 >
9 > - Firstly some packages fail to build with obscure LC_* settings
10
11 Anything that expects ordering etc from a particular locale, but does
12 not set the locale, is broken. It's nothing to do with obscure; I've
13 seen bugs occur due to people setting their default locale to
14 en_US.UTF-8 which can hardly be called obscure. Also calling the
15 Estonian locale "obscure" is just rude.
16
17 > The continuous stream of et_EE bugs is annoying:
18 > http://tinyurl.com/jsqzb
19
20 These should be fixed by setting the correct locale prior to the
21 commands that are sensitive to it. Such fixes should be sent or
22 negotiated with upstream.
23
24 > - and secondly I get my gcc output in german when I have a german
25 > locale set. This makes it really hard to report bugs or the
26 > bugreports are useless for most developers that do not understand the
27 > language.
28
29 My preferred approach here, is that if the people working the bug don't
30 understand the report (including wranglers of course) simply resolve it
31 "NEEDINFO" requesting the user translate the error messages if
32 they can, or perhaps do 'export LC_ALL=C' before emerge and
33 repost the results. Note that setting the locale to C may actually
34 cause a change in behaviour, perhaps even preventing the bug from
35 occurring if the bug is locale-specific, so obtaining a translation is
36 better.
37
38 > Those problems cannot be easily workarounded since portage does not
39 > use LC_ALL and LANG settings from /etc/make.conf
40 >
41 > I propose to have the portage build environment set the language to
42 > English or LC_ALL=C by default. That would significantly reduce the
43 > bugs with unreadable error messages+ solve all the et_EE bugs at once.
44
45 The 'et_EE' bugs would not be solved, they would be hidden. It's much
46 better to inform upstream that they've assumed the C locale; those I've
47 interacted with on this issue so far have been happy to be informed and
48 have set the locale where they need to.
49
50 > One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the
51 > correct language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because
52 > ebuilds should only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time.
53 > Those bugs should be detected and fixed.
54
55 I disagree. LINGUAS is a Gentoo-specific thing, so is only relevant to
56 ebuilds. If a package uses LC_* to determine the user's locale
57 preferences, I see no problem with that.
58
59 > What do you think? LC_ALL=C in portage or not?
60
61 I vote not.
64 Kevin F. Quinn