From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 11:46:04
1 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:38:06 +0200
3 > Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> there are at least two problems with how portage currently handles
8 >> locales:
9 >>
10 >> - Firstly some packages fail to build with obscure LC_* settings
11 >
12 > Anything that expects ordering etc from a particular locale, but does
13 > not set the locale, is broken. It's nothing to do with obscure; I've
14 > seen bugs occur due to people setting their default locale to
15 > en_US.UTF-8 which can hardly be called obscure. Also calling the
16 > Estonian locale "obscure" is just rude.
17 >
18 >> The continuous stream of et_EE bugs is annoying:
19 >> http://tinyurl.com/jsqzb
20 >
21 > These should be fixed by setting the correct locale prior to the
22 > commands that are sensitive to it. Such fixes should be sent or
23 > negotiated with upstream.
24 >
25 >> - and secondly I get my gcc output in german when I have a german
26 >> locale set. This makes it really hard to report bugs or the
27 >> bugreports are useless for most developers that do not understand the
28 >> language.
29 >
30 > My preferred approach here, is that if the people working the bug don't
31 > understand the report (including wranglers of course) simply resolve it
32 > "NEEDINFO" requesting the user translate the error messages if
33 > they can, or perhaps do 'export LC_ALL=C' before emerge and
34 > repost the results. Note that setting the locale to C may actually
35 > cause a change in behaviour, perhaps even preventing the bug from
36 > occurring if the bug is locale-specific, so obtaining a translation is
37 > better.
38
39 Doing that all the time. Bug reports with errors in any other language
40 than English are genuine PITA when searching for duplicates. Bugs with
41 errors in Russian/Estonian/Swedish/Chinese/... (add your favorite
42 language you can't even say 'good morning' in here) are useless for most
43 developers out there. Even if you can understand the language, the
44 translation often sucks, also - you'll get way more references when
45 googling for some error in English compared to any other locale out there.
46
47 Every other user that is asked to provide the messages with locales set
48 to C comes back asking how do I do it. Then they come back saying, oh
49 LC_ALL=C, or LC_MESSAGES=C didn't work, where do I put it exactly? Then
50 they come back and say, oh, it still didn't work... Also, asking someone
51 to provide errors in English when they occured say 10 hours into OO.org
52 compile makes the user really happy, of course. :P
53
54 Please, make portage spit out the errors in English by *default* to not
55 waste people's time. If someone insists on overriding it, then let them
56 do it in make.conf, but the default should be English and English should
57 be required when filing bugs (unless they are locale-specific ones).
58
59 I don't care about the amount of et_EE bugs, however they are almost
60 always upstream ones and I don't see that Gentoo devs would be keen on
61 fixing them - of course it's very low priority and there's more
62 important stuff to do in the limited time devs can spend on Gentoo
63 stuff, also users can emerge the thing just fine just by unsetting that
64 locale.
65
66 >> One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the
67 >> correct language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because
68 >> ebuilds should only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time.
69 >> Those bugs should be detected and fixed.
70 >
71 > I disagree. LINGUAS is a Gentoo-specific thing, so is only relevant to
72 > ebuilds. If a package uses LC_* to determine the user's locale
73 > preferences, I see no problem with that.
74
75 Nope, LINGUAS is not Gentoo-specific, it's pretty much standard thing
76 for anything gettext-based.
81 Best regards,
82
83 Jakub Moc
84 mailto:jakub@g.o
85 GPG signature:
86 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
87 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
88
89 ... still no signature ;)