From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:06:44
1 On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:42:37 +0200
2 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please, make portage spit out the errors in English by *default* to
5 > not waste people's time. If someone insists on overriding it, then
6 > let them do it in make.conf, but the default should be English and
7 > English should be required when filing bugs (unless they are
8 > locale-specific ones).
9
10 ok. I know we're repeating stuff discussed on IRC last week, but I
11 think it's useful to put this sort of thing on the record.
12
13 I'll go with having English as a default (rather than environment
14 locale) with an override settable in make.conf - I think it's important
15 that people have at least the option of emerge logs providing error
16 messages in their native language. Also there could well be subtle
17 bugs that trip on a non-C locale, that we never notice; that the ones
18 highlighted when the locale is et_EE are fatal is just luck.
21 On the subject of timing elsewhere in the thread, I don't see there's
22 any hurry, as things have been as they are for a long time. However
23 that's a decision for the people who plan out portage releases.
26 Kevin F. Quinn