From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) Updates
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:34:51
1 On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:41:37 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I'm against the two cents (if necessary, I'll go into the 101
4 | pitfalls) but I'm not against the negatives in groups. In fact, I
5 | think for USE flags they are actually required. For example,
6 |
7 | @GAMING="music maps sounds cdinstall -nojoystick"
8
9 Really, I see -flags in @GROUPS as only being necessary because of
10 people using no* flags. *shrug* I don't really like the idea too much
11 because of the confusion that it'll no doubt cause, but I'm not against
12 sticking them in and telling developers not to use them :)
13
14 | Then on negation, deal with it mathematically. For example,
15 |
16 | -@GAMING == -music -maps -sounds -cdinstall nojoystick
17
18 Yeah, workable. I bet it'll confuse the hell out of users who do
19 USE="@GNOME -@KDE" though, since they'll end up getting USE="-X"...
20
21 Ah, well... Unless someone screams, I'll send out another draft which
22 allows -@GROUPS and explains how they work, along with some big fat
23 nasty warning about how @GNOME -@KDE doesn't do what you think and a
24 requirement that any document that talks about @GROUPS makes this really
25 frickin' clear.
26
27 | BTW, may as well keep the grouping discussion here. In fact, it might
28 | be best to remove grouping from the ACCEPT_LICENSE GLEP so as to get
29 | the rest of it finalized. See how time goes, I guess...
30
31 You aiming for .51 on that? Personally I don't see the LICENCE stuff
32 being usable without some form of grouping...
35 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
36 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
37 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm