From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>, Paul Wise <pabs@××××××.org>, "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:24:57
1 On Monday 15 June 2009, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > However there are a few more things to take into account,
3 > please have a look at my reply to Paul:
4 > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/2009-June/
5 >001759.html
6 >
7 > Sorry for not CC'ing you, I should have though of that.
8 >
9 > Thinking the other way around: Is there anything we could do
10 > to make the central place approach work and feel better for
11 > everybody?
12
13 The consumers of the PackageMap will always only use the central
14 database. It is only the populators of the database that would be
15 distributed.
16
17 I am convinced the project will be more viable if people can choose
18 their level of contribution. Many developers just won't care enough to
19 take the extra hassle. If you make it easy enough for them to
20 contribute to the CPE mapping, i.e. update their debian/controls or
21 metadata.xml, they will (or not :-). Other developers that care more
22 can then extract the data and merge it at the database and do extra
23 maintenance tasks such as updating the substition map.
24
25 If you make merging easy, I don't see how this hurts the project.
28 Robert