From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>, Paul Wise <pabs@××××××.org>, "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:13:33
1 Robert Buchholz wrote:
2 > The consumers of the PackageMap will always only use the central
3 > database.
4
5 I'm not sure about that. I rather assume it will happen.
6 Especially use ignoring the substitution map.
9 > I am convinced the project will be more viable if people can choose
10 > their level of contribution. Many developers just won't care enough to
11 > take the extra hassle.
12
13 Agreed. However, I don't see a huge difference in level of
14 extra hassle. The most difficult thing is doing who's-the-vendor
15 research in my eyes atm which is the same at both ends.
16 Maybe collaborating at a central place can add some fun that
17 adding "some field I don't really care about" downstream cannot.
18
19 Btw on Gentoo putting it in metadata.xml might be adding to the risk
20 of a checksum mismatch, at least for extra edits. No idea if
21 QA tools will catch 90% of that happening.
24 > If you make merging easy, I don't see how this hurts the project.
25
26 I don't see how easy merging compensates for the issues I brought up.
29 Can I have a few more voices on this?: Would you clearly feel more
30 comfortable and motivated to contribute to PackageMap if it works
31 at your distro's source package?
35 Sebastian