From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New install isos needed
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 07:33:33
1 On 24/03/13 06:30, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 24 March 2013 09:17, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Am Samstag, 23. März 2013, 21:40:16 schrieb Markos Chandras:
5 >>>>> Why not officially recommend SystemRescueCD instead?
6 >>>>>
7 >>>> Looks really bad to recommend another installation media (even if it
8 >>>> is based on Gentoo) to people who want
9 >>>> to install our distro. I'd rather Gentoo recommended the live DVDs we
10 >>>> do from time to time than having these autobuilds around
11 >>>> that seem to break far too often.
12 >>>
13 >>> Except for the fact that downloading a DVD is slightly different from
14 >>> downloading a CD...
15 >>>
16 >>> Seriously. SystemRescueCD is more or less exactly what we would need. Has
17 >>> anyone ever approached the SystemRescueCD developers?
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> I must confess, I have not used the official Gentoo ISOs in ages. I use the
21 >> SystemRescueCD from a USB stick all the time.
22 >
23 > Me too. Our minimal CD is too minimal for my tastes (no X, no GUI
24 > browser for documentation), and our DVD too heavy. SystemRescueCD
25 > seems to hit the sweet spot.
26 >
27 > Maybe we could do a co-branded edition once in a while?
30 likewise, either sysrescuecd (OR ubuntu's livecd for networkmanager to
31 get ppp0 up and running)
32
33 i don't mind configuring ppp0 after installation, but during
34 installation it is an major obstacle
35
36 imho we should contact the sysrescuecd developers and suggest more close
37 cooperation, such that it could be called official install
38 media in gentoo-terms